Meeting with the Mentor
Heroes and Mentors
- Movies and stories of all kinds are consistently elaborating the relationship between the two archetypes of hero and mentor.
Sources of Wisdom
- Heroes will always make contact with some source of wisdom.
- This can be from mentors or other forms like people who had gone on the adventure before.
Mentors in Folklore and Myth
- Folklore and Myths are often filled with heroes who meet magical, wise mentors who help them on their journey like Chiron.
- Chiron; a centuar in Greek mythology who appears multiple times even in modern literature (Percy Jackson).
Chiron a Prototype
- As mentioned previously he is a centaur who trained many famous heroes like Hercules, Achilles and Actaeon.
- He is similar to a Shaman, being a bridge between humans and the higher powers of nature and the universe.
- Mentor was a character in The Odyssey.
- Mentor was the loyal friend of Odysseus.
- He was tasked with raising his son Telemachus while Odysseus made his may back from the Trojan War.
Avoiding Mentor Clichés
- Since people are used to the mentor archetype it’s easy to fall into clichés.
- To combat this, defy the archetypes, the absence of a mentor can make the heroes conditions interesting.
- People like being surprised, and being mislead by a mentor can be very interesting for the plot and keep the audience interested.
- Use an audiences expectations and assumptions against them.
Mentor – Hero Conflicts
- The Mentor – Hero relationship can take a turn for the worst if the hero is ungrateful or prone to violence.
- A good example of this is Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.
Mentor – Driven Stories
- This isn’t done a lot but sometimes the story revolves around a Mentor.
Mentor as Evolved Hero
- Mentors can be regarded as heroes who have become experienced enough to teach others.
- They themselves have gone on their own Heroes Journey and in their lives have progressed through the ‘Tarot Cards’.
- A Mentor is usually in the story briefly however this appearance is critical for the progression of the story and the Heroes Journey.